Friday, May 23, 2008

Fridays...

Since I've been working at an elementary school I've developed a love/hate relationship with Fridays. Its the end of the week, almost the weekend ... LOVE IT! On the other hand, the kids have the same feeling and are often, um, EXCITED on Fridays. I'm sure today will be the same. The kids have a "Play Day" today at school. Its basically an end of the year party where the teachers have brought in gigantic inflatable water slides and let the kids go crazy ALL DAY LONG. Seriously, don't you think 8:30-3:00, with a small break for lunch, is a bit much for kindergartners?


Of course when I heard about the play day I had to organize something of my own. I work for three hours everyday with a group of kids that need tutoring after school. Its a great job, minimal hours (which I like for this point in my life), and I get to help the kids. Fridays are free days for us, especially this late in the school year. So when I heard about their play day, my staff and I decided to do a massive water balloon fight (and of course some *structured* games...). I spent an hour last night filling up water balloons and researching games to play with them.



I'm beginning to wonder if this was such a good idea. I know I am going to come home soaked with fragments of balloons in my hair. On the other hand, the kids will love it.

No comments: