Saturday, May 24, 2008

I wonder what life would be like without sun...

Not really though. I love playing outside, when it is pretty and sunny. Today we've spent the day playing in one of those little plastic pools. Weather has been hot, but gorgeous, so we grilled chicken and potatoes and ate on the patio. I couldn't ask for a better day.

K. has been ridiculously easy to get to bed recently. All I have to do is tell her to lay down and go through a long routine of kissing her and tucking in each and every animal next to her. At last count we were at 5 puppies and turtles. That is all that she will sleep with. I guess bears aren't good enough.

I am talking H. into building her a bed. When she was about 15 months old she started screaming through the night, never wanting to sleep in her crib. She has a small couch that folds out into a "bed", so we let her sleep on that for awhile. When she was slept through the night for a week straight, we knew it was time for a big girl bed. The toddler beds weren't good enough; I think she hated her crib mattress because it wasn't soft enough. We had twin mattress but no box spring or frame, so she is now sleeping on a single mattress on the floor. I feel bad for her, but at the same time I feel safer knowing that if she rolls out of bed she doesn't have too far of a drop to the ground.

For those of you that have toddlers, when did you put your children into their first "big" bed?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about this for us, too. Maddie isn't showing any signs that she's ready to leave her crib. She loves it. I have a feeling she'll be quite a bit older before she's ready to make the move.

I've heard lots of other parents say they left the mattress on the floor for quite a while. Then maybe move to a bed up against a wall on one side with a railing on the other?

Good luck! I'll be reading to see what you do and how it goes. I need all the insight I can get!